Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
In ancient times, we depended on our connection to the Divine Mother for food, knowledge and spiritual strength. In modern times, an altar is one way to honor and remember that connection to the Sacred Feminine.
Creating an altar is not necessarily a religious practice, but is an act that serves the modern woman well--a holistic practice to benefit the body, mind and soul. An altar serves as a quiet space to nourish your soul--a physical space where you can meditate in solitude, unwind and recharge.
Creating an altar for your Goddess Circle creates an energetic space holder to begin manifesting your intentions. Participants of your Goddess Circle can bring an item that represents their part in the work undertaken by the group. For instance, if the circle is working with the energies of Demeter, you might request participants bring an item that reminds them of their mother, or their role as mother or something that symbolizes "mother" to them.
Here are some ideas for creating an altar space:
1) Use a small table in a quiet but noticeable area of your home, cover it with a cloth in an appropriate color. Red is a good choice because it is connected to the Muladhara, the ROOT chakra, the MOTHER and is a GROUNDING color. But use whatever color you are called to use. Use fresh flowers or herbs---both are symbols of the Goddess and of beauty, life and sensuality. Use candles in corresponding colors or scents to match your intentions.
2) Attune to your Inner Goddess: invoke your inner Sexy Siren, connect to the energies of Melusine by setting up an altar space in your bathroom-- a mirrored vanity tray with candles, sea shells, pearls, bath salts, bubble bath and perfume. Or, if you want to invoke your inner Kitchen Goddess, connect with Hertha by setting up an altar space in your kitchen--a large working candle, a small cauldron, a wooden spoon, a mortar and pestle, a beautiful trivet or ulu, fresh herbs and spices...
3) Create a nature altar: Use items you've found while exploring the outdoors--pine cones, rocks and crystals, feathers, shells.
4) Create a seasonal altar: attune to the seasonal energies by creating a space that honors nature's current wardrobe.
5) Create an elemental altar: use your altar space to focus on attuning to the energies of earth, air, fire or water.
Sign up for The Goddess Diaries newsletter to receive these blog post articles in your inbox! I never spam and totally respect your privacy. Usually delivered on the New Moon and Full Moon. http://eepurl.com/YVpsb
My name is Dawn Champine and I am the Creatrix of The Goddess Diaries. I am very passionate about helping women remember their REAL GODDESS selves.